There are lots of different ways to test for traces of cannabis in a person’s system. Urine testing is by far the most common method of drug testing, especially by an employer. These samples are often collected on-site and then sent to a laboratory to be tested. THC can also be detected in hair, saliva, and blood. Since urine is the most common method of testing, how long after you smoke cannabis will THC be found in your urine?
It all depends on how much you smoke
One of the pitfalls of testing for cannabis through urine samples has to do with the exact chemical that is being tested for in the lab. The test doesn’t actually look for pure psychoactive THC, but rather the version of THC that has been processed by your body, called THC- carboxylic acid (COOH).
This leads to people testing positive for cannabis use long after they have consumed cannabis. And depending on your usage habits, it can be months after you stop and you will still test positive in your urine samples.
Researchers have found that everybody’s body metabolizes THC in slightly different ways. But, they still came out with a rough guide on how the majority of people’s urine will test based on different consumption styles and timeframes.
- Your first use will usually stay in your system for 5-8 days
- If you use cannabis 2-4 times per week and then stop, you’ll test positive for 11-18 days
- If you smoke 5-6 times per week, it’ll stay in your urine for 33-48 days
- For Medical cannabis patients and people in the #smokeweedeveryday club, THC-COOH will stay in your urine for 49-63 days
Veteran smokers who have smoked for decades were even found with THC-COOH in their urine a whopping 77 days after stopping. That’s over two months!
These kinds of long-lasting positives can be a big problem for people who need to stop in a shorter time frame. They could have easily followed the rules of no cannabis use, but when tested, they still test positive.
The fairest tests that should be utilized worldwide is with the saliva, as THC will exit your saliva a mere 12 hours after use.
For further reading on urine testing, check out these articles:
- Does Using Fake Pee Guarantee You’ll Pass A Drug Test?
- 3 Brands Of Synthetic Urine And How To Fully Utilize Them
- How To Flush Marijuana Out Of Your System
Latest posts by Lukas W (see all)
- 21 Times Karl Kronic Had The Dopest Buds On Instagram - March 28, 2017
- Rec Cannabis Will Be Legal In Canada By July 2018, Confirms Government - March 27, 2017
- 10 Best #WeedPorn Pics From Instagram This Week - March 26, 2017