Cooking with Cannabis 101
Learn how to be an amazing cannabis chef!
This is a popular method for cooking large batches of cannabutter. We recommend using finely ground buds for best results, but it’s fine to use whole leaves and stems.
GET OUR MUST-HAVE HERB DESSERTS COOKBOOK:
Ingredients2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter
1-ounce cannabis, dried, or 2 ounces trimmed leaf
- Fill a large stockpot halfway with water. Add the cannabis, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the butter and return to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer for 1 hour more. Cover the stockpot, remove from heat and allow to cool. To increase potency, repeat this process twice more, simmering for 1 hour and then cooling again.
- Once you've finished the third simmering session, prepare to strain the mixture while it's still hot (be careful!) Position your metal strainer over the second stockpot and carefully pour the cannabis, butter and water mixture through the strainer into the second stockpot. It's a good idea to complete this step in a sink to avoid the mess!
- Once you've completed emptying the first stockpot, use the back of a large spoon to push the marijuana against the strainer and squeeze out and excess butter. Throw the leftover cannabis in the compost.
- Now it's time to chill the mixture. This will separate the water from the cannabutter. If your stockpot is too large for your refrigerator, pour the cannabutter and water mixture into a container that is a better fit.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours. The cannabutter will eventually rise to the top and solidify.
- The following day, separate the cannabutter from the water. Cut a chunk of cannabutter from the top and remove it from the cold water. Repeat this process until all the butter is laid out nicely on paper towels. Save the mushy butter (which has more water content) for a recipe such as weed brownies, where the excess water content isn't an issue.
- Now, melt the chunks of cannabutter over low heat in a large saucepan. Once the butter is liquid, pour it into storage containers. We recommend measuring out 1 cup of cannabutter and pouring it into glass jars. You now have a consistent supply of cannabutter to enjoy in your favorite recipes!
- You can also make Cannabutter at home easily and mess-free with the MagicalButter machine, which helps you create fantastic recipes, infusing cannabis easily into butter.
Your Source for Everything Cannabis
Latest posts by HERB (see all)
- How To Make Italian Limoncello In Your MagicalButter Machine - May 17, 2017
- How To Make Peanut Butter Marshmallow Treats - May 7, 2017
- How To Make Cannabis-Infused Fresh Berry Parfait - April 28, 2017
TRENDINGSEE MORE TRENDING
How long does weed stay in your system? That all depends on the how much you smoke, and the method of testing.
Sometimes it can be good to detox, and sometimes you have no choice because you really want that job you applied for and you know you’re going to be drug tested.
Okay, so you're home with a bag of weed, but you don't have a smoking piece. Well, luckily there are many ways to make homemade bongs and pipes.
Using filters are a matter of preference for smokers, but there are benefits to using joint tips. Learn how to roll amazing joint filter tips, for the perfect joint.
Check out this exploration video of Jamaican weed, and just how much you can score for as little as $20.
- 15 Nov, 2012
Recommended For You
In many European nations, it is common practice to smoke cannabis and tobacco together, introducing to a whole host of health problems.
15-year-old Taylor Rehmeyer has been battling with a rare brain tumor, chemotherapy radiations, but believes it's cannabis that finally cured her.
So close, but so far away. Vermont Governor Phil Scott has tossed a bill back to the Legislature that would have legalized cannabis if he had signed it.
Thanks to KushMoji and their pot-friendly emojis, marketing THC is going to be a lot easier, and tokers will no longer have to use that leafy tree.
Many patients and caregivers have found success in treating severe conditions, like epilepsy, with natural hemp-based CBD extracts.
Have you tried Super Sour Diesel? This fast sativa strain is a cross between two famous buds: Super Silver Haze and Sour Diesel.
It shouldn’t be a surprise that a long-term study, spanning more than 30 years has revealed that cannabis may be a factor in improving eyesight over time.
This groundbreaking new study confirms CBD oil can help reduce seizures in children with epilepsy; and, in some cases, stop the seizures.