Cooking with Cannabis 101
Learn how to be an amazing cannabis chef!
This is a popular method for cooking large batches of cannabutter. We recommend using finely ground buds for best results, but it’s fine to use whole leaves and stems.
GET OUR MUST-HAVE HERB DESSERTS COOKBOOK:
Ingredients2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter
1-ounce cannabis, dried, or 2 ounces trimmed leaf
- Fill a large stockpot halfway with water. Add the cannabis, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the butter and return to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer for 1 hour more. Cover the stockpot, remove from heat and allow to cool. To increase potency, repeat this process twice more, simmering for 1 hour and then cooling again.
- Once you've finished the third simmering session, prepare to strain the mixture while it's still hot (be careful!) Position your metal strainer over the second stockpot and carefully pour the cannabis, butter and water mixture through the strainer into the second stockpot. It's a good idea to complete this step in a sink to avoid the mess!
- Once you've completed emptying the first stockpot, use the back of a large spoon to push the marijuana against the strainer and squeeze out and excess butter. Throw the leftover cannabis in the compost.
- Now it's time to chill the mixture. This will separate the water from the cannabutter. If your stockpot is too large for your refrigerator, pour the cannabutter and water mixture into a container that is a better fit.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours. The cannabutter will eventually rise to the top and solidify.
- The following day, separate the cannabutter from the water. Cut a chunk of cannabutter from the top and remove it from the cold water. Repeat this process until all the butter is laid out nicely on paper towels. Save the mushy butter (which has more water content) for a recipe such as weed brownies, where the excess water content isn't an issue.
- Now, melt the chunks of cannabutter over low heat in a large saucepan. Once the butter is liquid, pour it into storage containers. We recommend measuring out 1 cup of cannabutter and pouring it into glass jars. You now have a consistent supply of cannabutter to enjoy in your favorite recipes!
- You can also make Cannabutter at home easily and mess-free with the MagicalButter machine, which helps you create fantastic recipes, infusing cannabis easily into butter.
Your Source for Everything Cannabis
Latest posts by HERB (see all)
- How To Make Cannabis-Infused Chicken Parm Stuffed Garlic Bread - September 16, 2017
- How To Make Cannabis-Infused Sweet & Sour Sauce - September 16, 2017
- How To Make Cannabis-Infused Sloppy Joe Sliders - September 13, 2017
TRENDINGSEE MORE TRENDING
How long does weed stay in your system? That all depends on the how much you smoke, and the method of testing.
Sometimes it can be good to detox, and sometimes you have no choice because you really want that job you applied for and you know you’re going to be drug tested.
Okay, so you're home with a bag of weed, but you don't have a smoking piece. Well, luckily there are many ways to make homemade bongs and pipes.
Using filters are a matter of preference for smokers, but there are benefits to using joint tips. Learn how to roll amazing joint filter tips, for the perfect joint.
Check out this exploration video of Jamaican weed, and just how much you can score for as little as $20.
- 15 Nov, 2012
Recommended For You
Knowing why bleached rolling papers are harmful, as well as some alternatives, is key if you decide to keep rolling those joints.
A mother and son duo were arrested in Iowa after the 10-year-old attempted to sell his mom’s weed stash to his classmates, but his plan quickly fell apart.
Sometimes you just need something strong. Fire OG is one of the strongest among the OG varieties, providing deep and lasting body relief.
A new study from the University of Indiana indicates that medical cannabis, if legalized on a national level, could save almost 50,000 lives a year.
Much like obesity itself, the rate of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is reportedly lower among pot smokers, says science.
Primetime channels including CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC are airing a commercial for the cannabis law firm The Hoban Law Group for the entire world to see.
A small rural school is doing its part to help crack down on students using weed, by printing an ad for local police in the newsletter.
Looking for a new bedtime bud? Blueberry Kush is a sweet-scented flower with up to 24 percent THC that promotes calmness and ease.