SHARE

Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN’s medical correspondent, has reversed his opinion on marijuana, citing its health benefits. Here are 11 reasons why he made the switch.

 11 Reasons Sanjay Gupta Changed His Mind on Weed

11 Reasons Sanjay Gupta Changed His Mind on Weed

By The Stoner's Cookbook

Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN's medical correspondent, has reversed his opinion on marijuana, citing many that it has many benefits. Here are 11 reasons why he made the switch.

  • There are Other Drugs Based on Marijuana

    By The Stoner's Cookbook

    Drugs like Marinol and Sativex are made from marijuana and are distributed legally in many countries around the world.

  • The System is Biased Against Research

    By The Stoner's Cookbook

    Marijuana for study must be from a government-approved farm & approval must be obtained from the National Institute for Drug Abuse, but the NIDA aims to prevent drug abuse, not to study benefits.

  • Marijuana Laws are Not Based on Science

    By The Stoner's Cookbook

    Laws classifying marijuana as a schedule 1 substance were based on the lack of science. Rather, the laws were made at the urging of Assistant Secretary of Health Roger Egeberg in 1970.

  • Few Studies on Marijuana Study its Benefits

    By The Stoner's Cookbook

    Only about 6% study the benefits, whereas the remaining 94% are designed to investigate harm, giving us a distorted perception of marijuana.

  • Medicinal Plants are Nothing New

    By The Stoner's Cookbook

    Medical scientific communities have been studying marijuana since the 19th century, and was used as for pain relief up until 1943.

  • Quitting is Much Easier

    By The Stoner's Cookbook

    While withdrawal symptoms (such as like insomnia, anxiety and nausea) still exist with marijuana, they are nowhere near as severe as alcohol withdrawal, nor as life-threatening.

  • Most Doctors Believe in It

    By The Stoner's Cookbook

    76% of surveyed physicians said they would prescribe marijuana to ease the pain of women with breast cancer.

  • It's Safer Than Many Prescription Drugs

    By The Stoner's Cookbook

    On average, someone dies from prescription drug overdoes every 19 minutes in the USA. On the other hand, it is not possible to overdose on marijuana.

  • In Some Cases, it's Amazingly Effective

    By The Stoner's Cookbook

    In one case, Gupta met a woman whose seizures were cut down from 300 per week, to 1-2 per week by marijuana.

  • It Doesn't have a High Potential for Abuse

    By The Stoner's Cookbook

    Studies have shown that marijuana only has 9-10% of dependence in its adult users, compared to addictive substances like cocaine (20%) or tobacco (30%).

  • It Works when Nothing Else Will

    By The Stoner's Cookbook

    There have been cases of patients with cancer or multiple sclerosis where marijuana has been an effective pain reliever when no other substances would work.

SHARE