Thanks to the Rick and Morty season three premiere that aired on April 1, the internet is up in arms over a dipping sauce from 1998. Nobody seemed to miss the obscure sauce until Rick, the series’ mad scientist main character, travels back to 1998 and gets the Szechuan sauce at a McDonald’s drive-thru. At the end of the episode, he pleads for McDonald’s to bring back the sauce. Our recipe is infused with coconut oil, so it’s even more magical.
Szechuan Teriyaki Dipping Sauce
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Yield: 4-5 cups
- ¼ cup Magical Coconut Oil
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped and sautéed in MagicalButter
- 1 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons garlic chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons McCormick Szechuan spice
- 1 tablespoon dried red chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh or crystallized ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Place all the ingredients inside your MagicalButter machine, and secure the lid.
- Press the Blend/Clean button, and listen for two short blending cycles; then, press the same button again to stop the machine.
- Press the Temperature button, and select 130°F; then, press the 1 Hour/Oil button.
- When the cycle is completed, empty your Szechuan Teriyaki Dipping Sauce into a serving dish, and refrigerate the remainder for later use.