The 20 Best Weed Quotes from Notable Cannabis Enthusiasts
Famous cannabis users have been crucial to the legalization movement.
Quotes help us remember history’s most notable people. The best weed quotes help cannabis enthusiasts and stoners alike recognize essential figures who’ve helped cannabis move out of the shadows and into the light. They’ve helped us make sense out of senselessness, laugh at absurdities, and unite people through thought, reason, and education about cannabis and its many, many uses. Here are twenty of the best weed quotes.
1.”And you may see me tonight with an illegal smile,
It don’t cost very much, but it lasts a long while.
Won’t you please tell the man I didn’t kill anyone,
No, I’m just tryin’ to have me some fun.” – John Prine, musician.
John Prine was Bob Dylan’s favorite songwriter, which means the odds that Prine’s lyrics would concern cannabis are pretty high. ‘Illegal Smile,’ the opening track off of his self-titled debut, reflects his feelings about cannabis as a stoner in the 1970s. It’s a charming ballad that aptly demonstrates the stigma that surrounded the plant and the people who enjoyed it in spite of that stigma.
2. “The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.” – Dr. Carl Sagan, astronomer.
Carl Sagan was a man of infinite wisdom who managed to help people understand the universe and the people in it. Sagan was a quotable man so it isn’t surprising that he managed to bless us with some insight on cannabis as well.
3. “Of course I know how to roll a joint” – Martha Stewart, businesswoman.
Martha Stewart is, simply put, a boss. Sure, she’s smoked up with Snoop Dogg, but the entrepreneur, television personality and author also built her brand from the ground up, solely on her hard work and savviness.
Though some people might find it surprising that Martha Stewart knows how to roll a joint, others see it as an entrepreneurial move that keeps her in touch with the changing times. Who knows? With legalization and smart thinking, we shouldn’t be surprised if we see a Martha Stewart line of edibles coming out soon.
4. “Marijuana is a very dangerous drug. Some people smoke it just once and go directly into politics.” – Barry Crimmins, activist/comedian.
Barry Crimmins was an activist first and a comedian second. He managed to turn his tragedy into a platform that stood up for those who couldn’t defend themselves while making us laugh in the process. Crimmins was notable for his criticism of the government’s interference in people’s personal lives. Plus, he was a total Dead Head.
5. “Instead of taking five or six of the prescriptions, I decided to go the natural route and smoke marijuana.” – Melissa Etheridge, musician.
You might remember Melissa Etheridge’s famous song “Come to My Window,” but a seldom known fact about the singer-songwriter is that she used cannabis to help her offset the effects of chemotherapy when battling breast cancer. Fortunately, Etheridge is now cancer-free, which makes us wonder, is she still smoking up?
6. “I find it quite ironic that the most dangerous thing about weed is getting caught with it.” – Bill Murray
What do you get when you combine a cannabis-smoking comedian and the wild world of prohibition? An insightful gentleman who’s fathered some of the best weed quotes in history.
Bill Murray has advocated the benefits of cannabis for years. At the age of twenty, he even smuggled ten pounds of pot onto a flight and got himself arrested after joking with a fellow passenger that he was a drug smuggler. Art imitates life.
7. “What is a weed? A plant whose virtue has never been discovered.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson, philosopher.
Much to our dismay, this one isn’t actually about cannabis. That being said, the message remains relevant. Emerson, an avid gardener, was merely making the point that the category of “weeds,” in general, is a construct and that we’ve arbitrarily decided everything in this category is not as worthy as other plants. One could argue, given prohibition and the stigma of cannabis, the kind of weed we like has been massively undervalued too.
8. “From a natural stiffness, I melted into a grinning tolerance. Walking on the streets became a high adventure, eating my mother’s huge dinners, an opulent entertainment, and playing with my son was side-cracking hilarity. For the first time, life amused me.” – Maya Angelou, poet.
Maya Angelou‘s reputation for using words to make the world around us more beautiful has managed to make its way into the world of cannabis too. This quote describes Angelou’s first experience using cannabis, which makes for one of the most touching and best weed quotes ever. It’s also relatable for a lot of us reflecting on our first experiences with the herb.
9. “Even if one doesn’t smoke pot one has to see the benefits of decriminalizing it!” – Danny Devito, actor.
Danny Devito knows what’s up. He might not have a reputation for being a stoner, but he’s been a vocal advocate for cannabis legalization, explicitly backing Proposition 19 in his home state of California. Plus, he voiced Homer Simpson’s long-lost half-brother, also named Herb!
10. “I’ve been smoking marijuana for 44 years now, and I think it’s a tremendous blessing.” – Dr. Lester Grinspoon, professor/psychiatrist.
Dr. Lester Grinspoon is an esteemed professor of psychiatry at Harvard University. He’s also been a cannabis advocate for decades after witnessing the benefits that cannabis had on his son during his battle with leukemia in the 1970s. He’s frequently expressed his distaste and futility for the American War on Drugs.
11. “I smoke a lot of pot when I write music.” – Lady Gaga, musician.
Musicians, artists and creatives alike often use weed to find inspiration and creativity when it’s sparse.
Lady Gaga is prolific in every sense of the word. Her performances and visual aesthetic reveal her larger-than-life imagination. She’s been very open about the role cannabis plays in that.
12. “That is not a drug. It is a leaf.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
The movie star and former governor has played an important role in fighting the stigma that surrounds cannabis. When Schwarzenegger infamously toked up in the documentary ‘Pumping Iron,’ he showed the world that stoners are equally capable of accomplishing anything they set their minds too.
You gave to me a new belief,
And soon the world will love you, sweet leaf.” – Ozzy Osbourne, musician.
15. “It is beyond my comprehension that any humane person would withhold such a beneficial substance from people in such great need, simply because others use it for different purposes.” – Dr. Steven J. Gould, paleontologist.
Dr. Steven J. Gould was an American paleontologist who helped make notable strides in the history of medicinal cannabis. Thus, it’s not surprising he’s the orator of more than a few of the best weed quotes. In 1998, Jim Wakeford, an HIV-positive patient, sued the Government of Canada for his right to grow, process and use cannabis to help with treatment.
Thanks to the help of Dr. Gould, Wakeford won the right. Dr. Gould also used cannabis during his battle with cancer.
16. “It really puzzles me to see marijuana connected with narcotics dope and all of that stuff. It is a thousand times better than whiskey. It is an assistant and a friend.” – Louis Armstrong, musician.
Cannabis was an important muse for famed trumpeter Louis Armstrong, who is a part of a long list of people who prefer using the herb over alcohol. Perhaps this is the reason he thought we lived in such a wonderful world.
17. “Struggle is the enemy, but weed is the remedy.” – Kid Cudi, musician.
Cannabis use and strife have been reoccurring themes in Kid Cudi’s musical work, who often calls the herb a source of inspiration as well as a coping mechanism for his depression. This verse from his song “Bigger Than You” speaks to anyone who has used cannabis in times of hardship.
18. “I don’t do drugs, though. Just weed.” – Dave Chapelle, comedian.
Dave Chappelle wrote the canonical stoner-comedy ‘Half Baked,’ brimming with the best weed quotes. Chappelle, whose comedy often concerns cannabis, has helped merge the worlds of cannabis culture and observational comedy to provide some valuable insight on the absurdity of stigma.
19. “Marijuana is dangerous because it’s illegal, not vice versa.” – Jill Stein, politician.
“It’s not inherently dangerous itself,” explains Jill Stein, the Green Party’s nominee in the 2016 elections. “I firmly believe that this is not the government’s business.”
20. “This was all inspired by my own experience from a lifetime of difficult periods and the fact that cannabis was literally the only thing that gave me relief” – Whoopi Goldberg, actress.
On top of winning an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar and a Tony award, Goldberg co-owns Whoopi and Maya, a cannabis company that makes products for menstrual cramps. This quote explains what inspired her to start her entrepreneurial journey into the world of cannabis.