Cannaghee is the basis for many edibles and makes cannabis infusion fantastically quick and simple. This is a must-have for every marijuana chef!
900g unsalted butter
28g of finely ground, premium grade cannabis
- Melt the butter in a pan at a low temperature so that the butter is hot enough to boil (or you can use the *double boiler method)
- Froth will start forming on the surface. Remove the froth with a spoon.
- Continue until no more froth appears. You will be left with less butter/ghee than you started out with.
- While the ghee is simmering, add the cannabis bit by bit, stirring every time.
- Let the cannabis and ghee simmer for 1-1 ½ hours depending on the color (you'll see the ghee turn a greenish color, but be careful not to overcook it -- who likes wasted pot, right?)
- Strain your mix with cheesecloth and allow it to cool.
- Store in an airtight container, refrigerate and use within 1-1 ½ weeks at the max.
*Double Boiler Method:
This method takes a little longer but eliminates the possibility of burning your ghee. Get two vessels of progressively bigger sizes. In the bigger vessel, pour enough water so that it's covering at least ½ an inch of the bottom of the vessel. Proceed to place the smaller vessel in the bigger one but make sure it doesn't overflow. Then place the double boiler over low heat. Stir the ghee constantly until it is melted. You have less chance of burning your ghee this way!
Note: After you've finished preparing your ghee, make sure you test its potency by consuming half a teaspoon at first and waiting for 1-1½ hours for the effects to kick in.