This Hemp Brie and Pear Pizza literally melts in your mouth. Garnish the top of the pizza with caramelized onions for a sweeter version.
1 teaspoon natural cane sugar
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon hemp oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 cup plain hemp protein powder
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
3 tablespoons olive or hemp oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (8-ounce) wheel Brie cheese, thinly sliced
1-2 ripe pears, such as Bosc, thinly sliced
- Make crusts: In a large bowl, combine warm water and sugar. Sprinkle yeast on top and allow to sit for 10 minutes (it should be bubbly). Add oil, salt, and oregano and start mixing on low speed. Add hemp protein powder, whole-wheat flour, and 1½ cups all-purpose flour. Mix until flour is well incorporated. Slowly add additional flour by the tablespoon until dough is no longer sticky but holds together well. Once the dough is no longer wet and sticking, mix on medium speed for 10 minutes (or knead by hand).
- After 10 minutes, dough should be soft. Roll dough into a large oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- After 1 hour, punch dough down and roll onto a floured surface. Divide into two equal portions and form two balls. Allow to sit, covered with a towel, for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500˚. Roll out each dough ball to create two large pizza crusts. Place pizza dough onto stoneware or two large cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Poke the dough with a fork all over the crust about an inch apart. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While crusts bake, mix together 3 tablespoons olive or hemp oil, crushed garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
- After 10 minutes, remove crusts from oven and reduce heat to 400˚. Brush pizza with oil-garlic mixture and top with Brie and pear slices. Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until edges start to brown.