Why imagery is so important:
- Content with relevant images gets 94% more views than content without.
- Images are the #1 most important factor in optimal social media content.
- The brain processes visuals 60,000 times faster than it does text.
- Combining images with a compelling caption will help engage your audience.
Images should not be:
- Inserted willy-nilly, just to have an image
- Trite or overused stock photos
- Thought of only as share-bait
- Boring or irrelevant
How to insert images on HERB
When should I use images?:
- An image should be used in each major section of your content.
- An image every 200-300 words will help break up the article, and ensure it is not too content heavy.
- If an article is 2000 words in length it should have around 8-10 images.
- Here’s an example of good image use in an article: Marijuana and MS.
- All images added to your story must be 800x400px – Download the Photoshop image template (be sure the border stays as the top layer)
- Must have a 1-pixel gray (#666666) border (this is in the Photoshop image template)
- File size must be below 120kb
- Format should be .JPG for photos and .GIF for text / diagram images
- Give the image file a descriptive file name
- If the piece is called ‘Canadian Prime Minister To Legalize Cannabis’, all image for this article should be prefixed with, for example: ‘canadian-pm-IMAGENAME’
- This make the files easy to find and search in WordPress
- Place your cursor where you want the image to go
- Click ‘Add Media’ at the top of the page
- Drag and drop or upload the image(s)
- Select / tick the image(s) you want to insert
- In the option on the right
- Set the ‘Alignment’ to none.
- In the ‘Size’ dropdown menu (at the bottom) choose ‘Full Size’
- Click the ‘Insert Image’ button
Add photo credit link
- Click the inserted image
- In the small menu that pops up click the ‘Pen’ (edit) button
- In the ‘Caption’ box copy and paste this code:
- <a href=”REPLACE” target=”_blank”>Photo credit</a>
- Next, copy the website URL the photo was found on (the website that is being credited)
- Back in WordPress, select the word ‘REPLACE’ in the code you pasted, and then paste the photo credit URL
- Click ‘Update’
- The featured image will be inserted by the Editor
Image Stock Websites:
Where possible source copyright free images. These can be found by searching for photos that have commercial usage rights. You can find these on website such as:
When using any images, copyright or not, always reference the source underneath the image and provide a link to the source e.g. Photo credit: *source link*.
The article ‘featured image’ credit should appear at the end of the article e.g. ‘Featured image photo credit: Shutterstock‘.