HERB’s voice is friendly, witty, helpful, positive, and informed about cannabis and its benefits.
We aim to enlighten society by showing people the amazing potential of cannabis. To this extent, it’s important to avoid terminology that supports the ‘Stoner’ image – a drugged out loser who gets blazed all day, is lazy, and has no job. The modern cannabis enthusiast is savvy, educated, and conscious of his/her decision to use cannabis.
Tone + Personality:
- We write the way we speak, and we speak to everyone the same way we speak to our friends.
- Be professional, friendly, classy, witty, helpful, positive, informed.
- Be respectful of the audience.
- No derogatory humor, crass language, or inappropriate jokes or references.
- Be aware of legality – avoid generalizations about legalization.
Use of Language:
- Keep it simple.
- Language should be fun, witty, intelligent, tasteful, cool, and friendly.
- Embrace everyday vocabulary that requires no background knowledge of cannabis on the part of the reader.
- Tell a story.
- We aim to differentiate cannabis from hard drugs by using language appropriate for coffee or chocolate.
- Okay: consume, eat, inhale, ingest, drink
- Avoid: use, take, smoke, hit
- Approach cannabis as a medicine that should be used responsibly.
- Okay: Marijuana, effects, stimulation, high, lifted, elevated
- Avoid: Weed, pt, trip, intoxicated, drugged, doped, loaded, smashed, inebriated
- Avoid swearing with the a few exceptions if context warrants it.
- Okay: shit, damn, hell
- Avoid: fuck, bitch, ass
|Terms Allowed:||Terms Prohibited:|
Pot / Pothead
Nugs / Nuggets
Dope / Dopped
Use Emotionally Impactful Words:
- Amazing, audacity, backbone, belief, blissful, bravery, breathtaking, cheer, conquer, courage, daring, eye-opening, faith, fearless, fulfill, grateful, grit, guts, happy, heart, hero, hope, miracle, pluck, sensational, spectacular, spine, spirit, staggering, stunning, surprising, triumph, uplifting.
Some great examples written in the correct voice:
- Entertainment: 21 Shocking Weed Statistics
- Educational: How To Store Weed So It Stays Fresh
- Longform: Marijuana and MS