Everyone’s favorite childhood dish, macaroni and cheese still tops the list of comfort foods we crave. Our take on it has a crunchy bread-crumb crust that provides an irresistible textural contrast to the gooey, cheesy pasta beneath.
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1⁄4 cup (1⁄2 stick) butter
8 teaspoons cannabutter
1 tablespoon all-purpose our 1 cup milk
1 cup half-and-half
1⁄2 teaspoon salt (kosher or sea) Pinch of freshly ground pepper
2 1⁄4 cups good-quality medium- sharp freshly shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1⁄2 cup cheddar crackers, such as Cheez-Its, crushed
1⁄2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 340°F and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the macaroni.
- Cook the macaroni al dente, according to package directions.
- Drain the macaroni and rinse it with cold water. Return it to the pot off the heat, toss it with the vegetable oil, and set it aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and cannabutter over medium- low heat. Whisk in the flour, then whisk in the milk, half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cups of the cheddar and mix well.
- Add the cooled pasta to the cheese mixture, mixing thoroughly.
- Turn the mixture into a buttered 9-by-13-inch casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1⁄4 cup cheddar, cheddar crackers, and panko and sprinkle the mixture evenly on top of the pasta.
- Bake until the topping is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
|This delicious recipe is from our cookbook: Herb: Mastering the Art of Cooking with Cannabis. Like this recipe? Get your copy today See the reviews and get your copy on Goodreads and Amazon.|