Watch: How To Make CannabutterSHARE
Cooking with Cannabis 101
Learn how to be an amazing cannabis chef!
Cannabutter is a vital ingredient in most cannabis recipes. If you want to make top quality cannabutter the key is 'low and slow".
GET OUR MUST-HAVE HERB DESSERTS COOKBOOK:
Ingredients448g/ 1 pound (lb) unsalted butter
500ml/2 cups water
Either: 1 Ounce (Oz)/28g decarboxylated ground premium cannabis/ 2 Oz decarboxylated leaf, stem or trim/ 4Oz Already Vaped Cannabis
Large glass bowl
Strainer or sieve that fits in the glass bowl
Lidded glass jar (to store the finished Cannabutter)
- In a large saucepan, bring the butter and water to a rapid simmer (just below a boil—the liquid will be active, with small bubbles consistently rising to the surface) over medium heat until the butter melts.
- Whisk in the cannabis/AVBs.
- Reduce the heat to low and bring the mixture to a slow simmer (there will be very little movement in the liquid, with small bubbles occasionally rising to the surface). Do not let the mixture boil.
- Cook for 5 hours, stirring every 90 minutes or so. Add additional warm water if needed (you don't want all the water to boil off).
- While the butter cooks, line a strainer or sieve with cheesecloth and place it over a large glass bowl.
- After 5 hours, pour the butter slowly through the cheesecloth into the bowl. Press down on the cannabis with a spatula to extract all the butter.
- Fold the cheesecloth, and use the spatula to push any remaining Cannabutter into the bowl. Discard the cheesecloth.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 3 hours (overnight is better). The mixture will separate into solid butter and liquid water.
- Remove the butter from the fridge, discard the water, and slide a butter knife around the edges to remove the Cannabutter from the bowl.
- Transfer the butter to a glass jar with a lid and store it in the fridge or freezer.
TRENDINGSEE MORE TRENDING
How long does weed stay in your system? That all depends on the how much you smoke, and the method of testing.
- 18 Oct, 2015
Sometimes it can be good to detox, and sometimes you have no choice because you really want that job you applied for and you know you’re going to be drug tested.
- 7 Apr, 2016
Okay, so you're home with a bag of weed, but you don't have a smoking piece. Well, luckily there are many ways to make homemade bongs and pipes.
- 11 Nov, 2015
Using filters are a matter of preference for smokers, but there are benefits to using joint tips. Learn how to roll amazing joint filter tips, for the perfect joint.
- 15 Dec, 2015
Check out this exploration video of Jamaican weed, and just how much you can score for as little as $20.
- 26 Jan, 2016
Recommended For You
“I think there’s a misconception that people who are up here are just raking in the cash,” says Becky Crossland of Formidable Flower, a family farm located in Humboldt County.
These legendary strains will amaze even if the most veteran smokers—if you can find them.
Drugslab, funded by the Dutch Government, features three Blonde babes trying everything from peyote to poppers.
Former Toronto Police Chief Julian Fantino once compared the legalization of marijuana to the legalization of murder.
Cannabis saved these veterans' lives. Now, they're paying it forward.
Depression, insomnia, and appetite disturbance are all considered symptoms of cannabis withdrawal.
Vape pens are a great way to smoke weed in public, but where do you get the cartridges if you don't live in a green state? You make them, of course.
As politicians continue to recycle brute-force methods of beating the drugs out of America, a more civilized answer is crying out to them from the side of a highway in Indiana.