New Study Confirms Over 25% of Canadians Use Cannabis
What do the statistics reveal about a population that consumes cannabis at some of the highest rates in the developed world?
The data from a newly released Canadian market research survey has officially been published. It asked 5,000 Canadians citizens their political opinion and expected consumption rates of cannabis currently and following legalization. So, what do the statistics reveal about a population that consumes cannabis at some of the highest rates in the developed world?
Largest opinion poll of its kind
The study was led by OraclePoll and marketing consultant Colin Firth, in the hope that investors could get a glimpse into the potential numbers of the Canadian cannabis market.
We recognized a significant lack of data for this emerging industry. To date, there has not been a study of this magnitude of the Canadian people’s thoughts of the cannabis industry – both on the medical and recreational fronts.
We saw this not just as an opportunity to better understand the Canadian cannabis consumer, or Canadians as a whole, but to help ensure that as a country, we’re all prepared for 2018’s pending legalization.
We’re convinced that this report is the single most important document to emerge in this industry since Bill C-45 was tabled. – Colin Firth, report co-author
Canadians and cannabis: By the numbers
The authors believe the 5,000-sample size of randomly selected Canadians adults(18+) is accurate within a margin of error of 1.5% and represents both demographic and geographic variables correctly. By way of computer-assisted phone calls, people were asked 75 questions while providing information on the state of the cannabis industry in Canada.
Notable findings from the 60+ page report include:
- As of July 2017, roughly 7.5 million Canadians or 26% of the population are cannabis consumers.
- 34% of Canadians reported to having a friend or family member that currently use recreational cannabis.
- 78% of those surveyed are aware that medical cannabis can replace certain types of pharmaceuticals.
- 24% of current and potential users will replace alcohol with cannabis.
- 28% have an interest in cannabis edibles while 60% say they will choose to smoke as their preferred method to consume cannabis
- 77% of current and potential cannabis users said they will purchase cannabis from a licensed grower.
- 63% of those polled favor the dispensary model for cannabis purchases while 30% prefer online shopping.
- 72% of Canadians believe that the federal government should pardon and eliminate previous and current convictions for simple cannabis possession.