Cannabutter is a vital ingredient in most cannabis recipes. If you want to make top quality cannabutter the key is ‘low and slow”.
500ml/2 cups water
Either: 1 Ounce (Oz)/28g decarboxylated ground premium cannabis/ 2 Oz decarboxylated leaf, stem or trim/ 4Oz Already Vaped Cannabis
Large glass bowl
Strainer or sieve that fits in the glass bowl
Lidded glass jar (to store the finished Cannabutter)
- In a large saucepan, bring the butter and water to a rapid simmer (just below a boil—the liquid will be active, with small bubbles consistently rising to the surface) over medium heat until the butter melts.
- Whisk in the cannabis/AVBs.
- Reduce the heat to low and bring the mixture to a slow simmer (there will be very little movement in the liquid, with small bubbles occasionally rising to the surface). Do not let the mixture boil.
- Cook for 5 hours, stirring every 90 minutes or so. Add additional warm water if needed (you don't want all the water to boil off).
- While the butter cooks, line a strainer or sieve with cheesecloth and place it over a large glass bowl.
- After 5 hours, pour the butter slowly through the cheesecloth into the bowl. Press down on the cannabis with a spatula to extract all the butter.
- Fold the cheesecloth, and use the spatula to push any remaining Cannabutter into the bowl. Discard the cheesecloth.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 3 hours (overnight is better). The mixture will separate into solid butter and liquid water.
- Remove the butter from the fridge, discard the water, and slide a butter knife around the edges to remove the Cannabutter from the bowl.
- Transfer the butter to a glass jar with a lid and store it in the fridge or freezer.