Black Pepper Drop Biscuits
Drop biscuits are very easy to make – there’s no rolling out and cutting involved. These biscuits are light, fluffy, and savory with a hint of black pepper. They freeze well, so feel free to double the recipe.
1 1⁄2 tablespoons coarsely ground fresh black pepper
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (kosher or sea)
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
2 tablespoons cold cannabutter, cut into small cubes
3⁄4 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 340°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the flour, pepper, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade or in a large bowl. Whisk or pulse to combine.
- Add both cold butters to the flour mixture. Pulse in the food processor, or cut the butter into the flour with a pastry cutter or 2 knives, until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Slowly add the buttermilk and pulse or stir with a fork until the dough just comes together. It will be tacky.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between scoops.
- Bake the biscuits until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove them from the oven and brush the tops with the melted butter.
- Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving (they’re also delicious at room temperature).