Chipotle-Avocado Baked Mac & Cheese
The classic mac and cheese gets a medicated makeover with this 420 infused, plant-based friendly recipe.
The classic mac and cheese gets a medicated makeover with this 420 infused, plant-based friendly recipe. Filled to the brim with flavor, this hearty dish has a spicy kick from the chipotle-avocado puree, a crunch from the irresistible hempseed parmesan crust, and a more than uplifting hit of health from the rich extra-virgin cannabis olive oil. Perfect as a side dish for any upcoming holiday celebration, or as a comforting toasty entrée for the chilly nights of winter.
3 cups organic brown rice shell-shaped pasta (dry) or your favorite pasta, cooked until al dente
Optional* Sliced avocado for garnish or ½ cup diced avocado to stir into each portion
1 ½ cup diced avocado
3 tbsp Adobo sauce (add more for extra heat!)
1 tbsp lemon juice
¼ tsp sea salt, plus more to taste if desired
Hempseed Parmesan Crust:
2 tbsp Hempseed Parmesan*
½ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp sea salt
Cracked black pepper to taste
2 tsp hempseeds (for sprinkling)
4 tbsp olive CannaOil
2 ½ cups unsweetened plain hemp milk
¼ cup white whole-wheat flour
¼ cup + 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
½ tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ cup hempseeds
¾ tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
Heaping ¼ tsp sea salt
Pulse all ingredients together in a food processor until combined and crumbly. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a food processor, add the avocado, Adobo sauce, lemon juice and salt. Puree until smooth, stopping the processor a few times to scrape down the bottom and sides of the work bowl. Season to taste with more sea salt. Transfer to a small bowl, cover and hold in fridge.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the crust ingredients until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Over medium-low heat in a medium saucepan, heat the olive CannaOil and whisk in the flour to fully combine for about 1 minute, forming a thick paste. Raise the flame to medium and cook/whisk for a few more minutes to cook out the raw flour flavor.
- Slowly add in the hemp milk and whisk until fully combined.
- Bring the mixture to a light boil. Reduce the flame to low and add in the nutritional yeast, sea salt, garlic powder, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice.
- Whisk together to fully incorporate all ingredients and continue to cook for about 7 more minutes or until thickened. Take care to reach the bottom and sides of the pot to avoid any sticking/burning.
- Season to taste with cracked black pepper and additional sea salt if needed. Remove from heat and stir in the chipotle avocado puree and al dente pasta shells.
- Pour the mac and cheese mixture into a medium-sized casserole dish and top generously with the Hempseed Parmesan crust. Sprinkle with the additional hemp seeds and bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned and bubbly (I like to hit mine with the broiler for a quick minute to get a nice golden brown. Keep an eye on it to avoid any burning!).
- Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
*Dose Wisely: The CannaOil amount in this recipe is a suggestion, and is highly variable depending on the strength of your CannaOil and the potency you are going for. Use this amount as a guideline to figure out the right amount for your situation. The best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of your meal, wait an hour, see how you feel, then snack on more if it feels right. Listen to your body! Make smart dosing choices and munch wisely!
Cannabis For You, Near You
Join the Herb community and get exclusive offers, early access to products, and good vibes.
July 28, 2010 — Last Updated