Herbed Italian Polenta Pizza + Hempseed ParmesanSHARE
Cooking with Cannabis 101
Learn how to be an amazing cannabis chef!
This unconventional pizza is a scrumptious change from the usual pie, replacing normal pizza sauce with a creamy marinara polenta infused with our favorite herb!
GET OUR MUST-HAVE HERB DESSERTS COOKBOOK:
IngredientsThis unconventional pizza is a scrumptious change from the usual pie, replacing normal pizza sauce with a creamy marinara polenta infused with our favorite herb, and topped off with sautéed cremini mushrooms and a generous sprinkle of hempseed parmesan. Expand your pizza palate with this delicious and super nutritious polenta pie!
Whole-wheat pizza dough,1 bag (I dig Trader Joe's dough),
For the Polenta:
2 cups corn grits/polenta (organic)
6 cups water
1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning
1 ½ cup organic crushed tomatoes with basil
1 ½ tsp organic tomato paste
3 tbsp coconut CannaOil
1 ½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
6 cloves roasted garlic, chopped and mashed* (optional)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 ½ tbsp earth balance butter
Cracked black pepper to taste
For the Mushrooms:
2 cups cleaned and sliced cremini mushrooms
1 tbsp coconut CannaOil
1 tbsp earth balance butter
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil + 4-6 fresh basil leaves for garnish on pizza (optional)
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp cracked black pepper
For the Hempseed Parmesan:
½ cup hempseeds
¾ tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
Heaping ¼ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. If using a pizza stone, place in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes before baking. Combine all hempseed parmesan ingredients in a food processor and pulse until fully combined and crumbly. Set aside.
- For the Polenta: Boil 6 cups of water and 1 ½ tsp salt in a large heavy bottomed pot. Reduce heat to med and stir in the polenta. Stirring constantly, brining back up to a light simmer.
- Once simmering, cook and stir often for 10 minutes. Stir in the seasoning, tomatoes, tomato paste, coconut CannaOil, salt, pepper, garlic and nutritional yeast.
- Continue cooking for about 15 more minutes, stirring regularly, until the polenta has thickened up. Stir in the butter and season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- While the polenta is simmering, sauté the mushrooms. In a large skillet melt the butter with the coconut CannaOil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, thyme, basil, a pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and hold.
- When polenta and mushrooms are ready, stretch dough out into a large pizza shell. Carefully place onto warmed pizza stone (or lightly greased baking sheet).
- Bake the dough for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and spoon a few cups of the polenta into the middle of the pizza and spread around to cover the pizza like a sauce, leaving a nice crust around the edge. Add more polenta if necessary to cover the entire pizza. Spread the sautéed mushrooms on top of the polenta and sprinkle with a few heaping teaspoons of Hempseed Parmesan. Decorate with a few leaves of fresh basil if desired.
- Return to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the dough is cooked through and the polenta has toasted up nicely.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
*Nutrition Note: Save your leftover Hempseed Parmesan in an airtight container for your future cooking adventures! This 'Parmesan' is dairy-free and nutrient packed with essential amino acids, B-vitamins, heart-healthy omega-3 fats and plant-based protein. It'll give a hearty nutrient kick and wonderful depth of flavor to any recipe! Great as a topping but even better an ingredient, try adding it to your next soup, sauce, casserole, stew, stir-fry, or pasta dish!
*Dose Wisely: The CannaOil amount in this recipe is a suggestion, and is highly variable depending on the strength of your CannaOil and the potency you are going for. Use this amount as a guideline to figure out the right amount for your situation. The best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of your meal, wait an hour, see how you feel, then snack on more if it feels right. Listen to your body! Make smart dosing choices and munch wisely!
TRENDINGSEE MORE TRENDING
How long does weed stay in your system? That all depends on the how much you smoke, and the method of testing.
- 18 Oct, 2015
Sometimes it can be good to detox, and sometimes you have no choice because you really want that job you applied for and you know you’re going to be drug tested.
- 7 Apr, 2016
Okay, so you're home with a bag of weed, but you don't have a smoking piece. Well, luckily there are many ways to make homemade bongs and pipes.
- 11 Nov, 2015
Using filters are a matter of preference for smokers, but there are benefits to using joint tips. Learn how to roll amazing joint filter tips, for the perfect joint.
- 15 Dec, 2015
Check out this exploration video of Jamaican weed, and just how much you can score for as little as $20.
- 26 Jan, 2016
Recommended For You
“Cancer patients who are addicts are using their ports to shoot up," she said. “I’ve never seen so much desperation and sickness before."
Lesotho, a small country nestled inside the borders of South Africa, has legalized medical marijuana. Who will be next on the continent?
These unexpected items will make sure no one knows what you're up to.
Wait, that's a thing? Yup, get ready to cozy up with loved ones...and a joint.
It seems this DARE relic is coming back to haunt us...again.
But will the feds get in the way?
If you live in a state where weed is illegal, there will likely be times when you can't get a hold of it. Here are some proven alternatives for those moments when you need immediate stress, depression or anxiety relief.
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker wants to drug test people on welfare.