Sour Cream Coffee Cake
One of the great edible pleasures in life is a moist piece of buttery cinnamon coffee cake with just the right amount of streusel and swirl; two easy baking steps to master.
2 sticks canna-butter, room temperature, or use less medicated butter and more without cannabis
2 & ½ cups sugar, divided into 2 cups and ½ cup
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups (1 pint) sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup chocolate chips
1 tablespoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
One of the great edible pleasures in life is a moist piece of buttery cinnamon coffee cake with just the right amount of streusel and swirl; two easy baking steps to master. This cake has been present for every one of our News Year's Day breakfasts for over 14 years. It didn't always have a boatload of weed in it, as it does in this recipe, but when I thought of foods that would be perfect when medicated this came quickly to mind. It's pretty easy to make. Lots of butter, so a perfect recipe for a medicated make-over. When cooking with marijuana, you need fat (butter, all cooking oils, milk products that are not non-fat) because the THC will cling to the fat when heated. So, for example, if you make hot cocoa, and you use non-fat milk, the potency will be radically different than if you used 2% or whole milk.
Back to the cake. There is something very comforting about a coffee cake. This one has a good amount of vanilla, chocolate chips and walnuts, and a tasty streusel topping that has a touch of cardamom and healthy dose of cinnamon. It is super with a cup of coffee or tea, and is not half bad with a scoop of ice cream nested on the top. One of the local shops in my town does a cardamom ice cream that when placed on the top of a slice of this the cake causes great sighs, swoons and smiles due to the high level of deliciousness!
Heat oven to 325.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup of the sugar with the walnuts, chocolate chips, cinnamon and cardamom. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and 2 cups of sugar. Add eggs, blending well, then the sour cream and vanilla.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture, and beat until just blended. Do not overbeat.
- Pour one-third of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the nut/chocolate mixture. Repeat. Then add remaining batter.
- Bake until the center of the cake is set, about 50-60 minutes. A cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Oven temps can vary quite a bit, so please check for doneness after 45 minutes, it's a bummer if this delicious cake is overcooked.
Cannabis For You, Near You
Join the Herb community and get exclusive offers, early access to products, and good vibes.
September 07, 2009 — Last Updated