This is a creamy, warming soup, and the scallion garnish gives it a bright note. Pair a bowl with a Grilled Cheese Sandwich for the ultimate soup-sandwich combo.
1 medium onion, chopped
1-quart vegetable or chicken stock
1 (28-ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
1 cup half-and-half
Salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
8 leaves chopped fresh basil or 2 chopped scallions for garnish
4 tablespoons shredded mozzarella
- In a medium pot, heat the cannaoil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the stock and tomatoes and cook until they are warmed through. Add the half-and-half and season the soup with salt and pepper. Simmer the soup, stirring occasionally, until it has heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Turn on the heat and let the soup cool slightly.
- Working in 2 batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Or, if you have an immersion blender, you can puree the soup directly in the pot.
- Return the blended soup to the pot and rewarm it over medium-low heat.
- Garnish with the basil or scallions and mozzarella before serving.