How to Make a Gravity Bong That Will Rip
Save flower and money by learning how to make a gravity bong.
Photography by Jonathan Coward for HERB
Making a gravity bong—or water bottle bong—is easy. All you need is a few common household materials and you’re good to go. Here’s a step-by-step for how to make a gravity bong at home.
- 1 clean and empty two-liter plastic bottle
- 1 clean and empty one-liter plastic bottle
- 4X4 inch piece of aluminum foil
- Knife (for puncturing)
Directions for a DIY Gravity Bong:
- Use a knife to puncture a hole in the bottom third of your one-liter plastic bottle.
- Use your knife to evenly cut off the bottom one-third of the bottle.
- Next, use your knife to puncture a hole in the top third of your two-liter plastic bottle.
- Use your knife to cut off the top one-third of your two-liter bottle.
- Unscrew the cap on the small bottle.
- Use your knife or another puncturing device to make a hole in the center of the bottle cap.
- Slide the bowl piece through the hole in the bottle cap
- Screw the bottle cap back onto the small bottle.
- Next, place the small bottle into the base of the large bottle.
How to Make a Gravity Bong Bowl
Want to cut down on hazard when constructing a do-it-yourself water pipe? It’s easy to make a gravity bong bowl with either a standard glass bowl piece or a small socket. Here’s the step-by-step for putting together a solid piece.
- Plastic bottle cap
- Knife or sharp object (for puncturing)
- A small tapered socket or small glass bowl
Directions for a DIY Gravity Bong Bowl:
- Use your lighter to heat the tip of your knife or other piercing object.Use the heated tool to poke a hole in the plastic bottle cap.
- Once your hole is poked, use your tool to widen the hole to a size big enough to slide the tapered socket snuggly into the fitting. If you do not have a socket and would like to use a glass bowl instead, simply cut the hole large enough to securely fit the stem.
- Use your lighter to gently melt the plastic opening you have cut in the bottle cap. This will help prevent any leakages and ensure a tight fit.
- Before the bottle cap cools, slide the tapered end of your socket or glass bowl through the hole.
- Let your creation cool before use. You now know how to make a gravity bong bowl!
How to Use a Gravity Bong
Once your homemade gravity bong is complete, you’re ready to smoke. Using a gravity bong is easy. After all, physics does all of the work for you. Once your piece is constructed, follow these simple steps for successful smoking out of a gravity bong:
- Fill up the large bottle base until the small bottle is submerged and the waterline reaches about two inches below the bowl.
- Fill your bowl with bud and light.
- As you light, begin to slowly pull upwards on the small bottle. The chamber should begin to fill with smoke.
- Continue pulling upwards until you have collected your ideal amount of smoke.
- When you’re ready to inhale, unscrew the bottlecap bowl and quickly inhale the smoke out of your DIY gravity bong while pushing down on the smaller chamber.
As a word of caution, it may be wise to have a glass of ice water and some throat lozenges nearby. Gravity bongs can collect far more smoke than the standard water pipe. As such, smoking from a gravity bong can be a little rough. Being prepared for coughing in advance will save you from some discomfort.