There are many benefits to THC pills. For one, they’re extremely discrete. They’re small and easily transported. And when you want to get high, all you need to do is pop a capsule in your mouth and wash it down with a mouthful of water. Capsules also function like edibles without all the extra calories. Best of all, they’re easy to make. What’s not to like?
You only need a few hours, and a number of easily acquired products to make cannabis capsules. We’re going to show you how to make a total of about 50 cannabis capsules using about a half ounce of cannabis. However, it’s difficult to determine the potency of cannabis capsules without having them tested by a professional laboratory. Therefore, you can experiment and play it safe by only partially filling some of your capsules. For example, try filling one capsule 1/4 full, another 1/2 full, and so on. Then, when you start testing out your capsules, start with the most empty ones and slowly work your way up over the course of a few days if the smaller portioned capsules aren’t potent enough.
Without further ado, follow these easy steps to make your very own THC pills at home.
1. Begin by preheating your oven to 220° Fahrenheit. Then, line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. While you’re waiting for your oven to preheat, finely grind your cannabis flower with a grinder and spread it out evenly across the parchment paper on your baking tray.
3. Once your oven is preheated, put your baking tray of ground cannabis in the oven and allow it to bake for 30 to 45 minutes. *Warning: make sure your oven is capable of holding a precise temperature, as any temperature above 250° Fahrenheit could negatively affect the quality of your cannabis. Keep the oven on even after you’ve removed the decarboxylated cannabis—you’ll need it later.
4. For this step, you’re going to create a double boiler to heat up your coconut oil and soy lecithin, and combine it with your ground cannabis flower. To accomplish this, fill 3/4 of your cooking pot with water and bring it to a gentle boil. Then, put your soy lecithin and coconut oil in the smaller cooking bowl, and place it on the gently boiling water in the larger pot so that it floats on top. Once the soy lecithin and coconut oil melt completely, add your now-decarboxylated cannabis. Mix everything together thoroughly.
5. Take the small glass bowl out of the larger cooking pot. Pour the water out of the larger cooking pot. Pour the coconut oil, soy lecithin, and cannabis mixture into the larger pot, and then put it into the oven. Leave the pot in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Take the pot out of the oven and put it aside. Using a strainer, or by fastening a cheesecloth over the mouth of your small glass bowl with a rubber band, strain the small bits of cannabis flower out of the oil. Simply pour the liquid through the strainer or cheesecloth and into the bowl. Squeeze any remaining liquid out of the wet ground flower that collects in the bottom of the strainer or cheesecloth. Allow this liquid to cool. If you try to fill your capsules with a liquid that’s more than 100° Fahrenheit, you’ll likely melt your capsules. Just don’t let it cool too long, or it will solidify.
7. While waiting for your oil to cool, prepare your gelatin capsules by pulling their tops off and placing them neatly on your table. *Note If you have a capsule filling machine, you would skip this step, and instead follow the instructions provided to you on the packaging of your machine. Capsule filling machines are cheaper and easier to use than you might expect. You can purchase them for about $25.
8.Once your oil is cooled, using your syringe or eyedropper, fill the large half of the gelatin capsules, then place the smaller half on top so that you end up with closed capsules filled with oil. Continue doing this until all of your oil has been transferred into capsules. If your capsules are sticky, or have oil on the outsides, put them in some paper towel and gently pat them down. You should be left with about 45 or 50 capsules.
If you’re looking to use edible THC therapeutically, or to treat a certain condition, but don’t have access to dispensaries or legal medical cannabis providers, homemade THC capsules may be a good option for you. Capsules specifically are a good option for medical users who may need to consume edible forms of cannabis once a day or more, but could compromise their health by eating lots of sugary cannabis edibles like brownies.