This is a popular method for cooking large batches of cannabutter. We recommend using finely ground buds for best results, but it’s fine to use whole leaves and stems.
November 15, 2012
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter
1-ounce cannabis, dried, or 2 ounces trimmed leaf
- Fill a large stockpot halfway with water. Add the cannabis, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the butter and return to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer for 1 hour more. Cover the stockpot, remove from heat and allow to cool. To increase potency, repeat this process twice more, simmering for 1 hour and then cooling again.
- Once you've finished the third simmering session, prepare to strain the mixture while it's still hot (be careful!) Position your metal strainer over the second stockpot and carefully pour the cannabis, butter and water mixture through the strainer into the second stockpot. It's a good idea to complete this step in a sink to avoid the mess!
- Once you've completed emptying the first stockpot, use the back of a large spoon to push the marijuana against the strainer and squeeze out and excess butter. Throw the leftover cannabis in the compost.
- Now it's time to chill the mixture. This will separate the water from the cannabutter. If your stockpot is too large for your refrigerator, pour the cannabutter and water mixture into a container that is a better fit.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours. The cannabutter will eventually rise to the top and solidify.
- The following day, separate the cannabutter from the water. Cut a chunk of cannabutter from the top and remove it from the cold water. Repeat this process until all the butter is laid out nicely on paper towels. Save the mushy butter (which has more water content) for a recipe such as weed brownies, where the excess water content isn't an issue.
- Now, melt the chunks of cannabutter over low heat in a large saucepan. Once the butter is liquid, pour it into storage containers. We recommend measuring out 1 cup of cannabutter and pouring it into glass jars. You now have a consistent supply of cannabutter to enjoy in your favorite recipes!
- You can also make Cannabutter at home easily and mess-free with the MagicalButter machine, which helps you create fantastic recipes, infusing cannabis easily into butter.
Cannabis For You, Near You
Join the Herb community and get exclusive offers, early access to products, and good vibes.
November 15, 2012 — Last Updated