Photo by Creative Workshop / Pexels
According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty To Animals, it states that severe cases of dogs ingesting psilocybin mushrooms can cause tremors and seizures, and sometimes death. However, that’s if the pup managed to eat a similar dose that would make a human trip, probably around three or more grams.
Some other, more common symptoms include the following, per Double Blind Magazine;
It’s worth noting that most of these symptoms are actually what humans may experience on psychedelics, minus the whining and howling part. And while some dogs may not react so poorly to psychedelics, a “bad trip” can be even worse for them.
Your best option for ensuring quick action is taken to prevent the situation from escalating is taking your dog to the veterinary or animal hospital as soon as possible.
Vets will often use techniques to help eliminate all unwanted poisons and toxins from your dog’s body by giving them activated charcoal or other substances to induce vomiting. However, before you go, it would be beneficial for the vet and your pup if you knew the exact species of mushroom your dog ingested.
According to Double Blind Magazine, knowing the species and how much your dog ate will help veterinarians know which treatments they should administer and how severe the case is.
Finally, leaving your dog at a clinic overnight for monitoring might also be of use, but most treatments will only keep your dog for about 12 hours. This all depends on how comfortable the veterinarian is with releasing your dog based on its individual condition.
Reports suggest that keeping your dog in a warm, safe, clean, and quiet place with human company and fresh water is ideal to ensure they’re comfortable. To avoid this situation in the future, please try your best to keep all mind-altering substances far from where your dog can reach.